David Braswell is an attorney practicing in the areas of divorce, family law, estate planning, and personal injury. David is primarily known for his work in family law. He has successfully argued hundreds of family law cases before the court, and he is respected by his colleagues and the bench for his effective courtroom advocacy.
David Braswell is uniquely qualified to represent clients in complex child custody cases. He spent over seven years representing the best interests of children as a Guardian ad Litem (GAL). David was frequently appointed by judges and court commissioners to interview children, parents, and professionals, and to conduct investigations into allegations of parental misconduct. He served as a Guardian ad Litem in over 100 cases.
Generally, GALs are only appointed in complex, high-conflict child custody cases. As a GAL, David was involved in some of the court’s most difficult custody cases, such as those involving allegations of sexual abuse, domestic violence, mental health disorders, and substance abuse. David has worked closely with CPS investigators and social workers, and he has developed strong professional relationships with many psychologists, counselors, and domestic violence and substance abuse evaluators and treatment providers. As an attorney, he is able to leverage the knowledge, experience, and connections he developed as a GAL to the benefit of his clients.
David graduated with high honors from Seattle University School of Law in 2009. While in law school, he received awards for earning the highest grade in his class in contracts and in legal writing. He earned academic achievement scholarships, and he was selected for a full-time externship with the Honorable Robert J. Bryan, Senior Judge at the U.S. District Court for Western Washington at Tacoma.
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
- Seattle University School of Law, Seattle, Washington
- J.D., Honors: Magna Cum Laude, CALI Award for Excellence in Contracts, CALI
- Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
- Central Washington University, Ellensburg, Washington
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Washington State Bar Association – Member
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association – Member
- Pierce County Superior Court, Guardian ad Litem Advisory Board
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section – Member
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section – Member
- In his spare time, David enjoys outdoor activities with his wife and two children, such as camping, crabbing, clamming, and hiking. He also enjoys working on classic cars and trucks.
Areas of Practice