My Children Moved Out Of State With My Ex-Spouse And I Want To Modify Our Parenting Plan. Where Should I File?

If the parenting planĀ you want to modify was entered in Washington, you can file an action to modify that plan in Washington as long as one parent continues to reside in the state and the children still have some contact with the state.

If the children have lived in another state for more than six months, then your ex-spouse could ask the court in that state to exercise jurisdiction and have Washington relinquish. In order to accomplish that, the Washington court and the court from the other state will conduct a joint hearing to determine which state would be the best forum.

Nicole M. Bolan, Attorney at Law
Blado Kiger Bolan, Tacoma, Wash.

Related Posts
  • How To Get Visitation Rights In Washington Read More
  • How Long Does Spousal Support Last In Washington? Read More
  • Tips For Resolving Common Co-Parenting Disputes Read More