What Happens If I Get Behind In My Child Support Payment?

There are several potential ramifications if you get behind in child support.

First, the other parent can bring a motion for contempt. If the court finds that you have the ability to pay but have not done so, you may have a judgment entered against you for the past due amount plus the other parent’s attorney’s fees and costs. In egregious cases, the court may even order imprisonment as a sanction.

You can also have your driver’s license suspended, have the debt reported to the credit bureaus, have your tax refund intercepted, or have a passport denied. If you are unable to pay the full child support amount, you should contact an attorney to discuss modification of your child support order as soon as possible.

Nicole M. Bolan, Attorney at Law
Blado Kiger Bolan, Tacoma, Wash.

Related Posts
  • How To Get Visitation Rights In Washington Read More
  • How Long Does Spousal Support Last In Washington? Read More
  • Tips For Resolving Common Co-Parenting Disputes Read More