Restraining Orders: Broad Tool In Washington State Family Law Disputes

Family Law Attorneys Helping with Restraining Orders and Family Law Matters throughout the Tacoma Area

Restraining Order: It’s a term that is thrown about a lot these days. As seen in recent newscasts, it is even used in discussions regarding national immigration law. That is actually one of the difficulties with the term, not only in Washington State, but elsewhere. Restraining orders, “TROs,” protective orders – the terms are used so often and so interchangeably that one can easily get confused. In the Tacoma area, restraining orders and other sorts of domestic protective orders are a broad and powerful tool for protecting the rights (and lives) of those facing difficult, personal, family law issues.

Four Types of Protective Court Orders

Generally speaking, there are four primary types of protective court orders. While there is some overlap among them, each has a primary role to play in keeping the peace and in protecting individuals.

Domestic Violence Order for Protection

Probably the most common type of protection order requested in Washington state courts, this type of civil order can, among other things:

  • Order a member of the family or household not to hurt another
  • Order a person to refrain from entering a residence
  • Order a person to seek and attend mandatory counseling
  • Set a specific schedule for visitation of minor children
  • Give one parent temporary custody of minor children

Such an order cannot:

  • Order spousal maintenance (alimony)
  • Order child support
  • Make a permanent assignment of most property
  • Establish permanent custody of minor children

Restraining Order

Broader than a domestic violence protection order, this type of order can not only deal with domestic violence and temporary custody issues, it can handle many issues related to property, child support, and spousal support or maintenance. Generally, a restraining order is filed as part of an ongoing divorce, paternity case, or other family law case.

No-Contact Order

This type of protective order is criminal in nature and, therefore, does not require a person to complete and file a petition. In most situations, this sort of order does not last as long as a protective order or restraining order. A court may issue it when a person (who has shown sufficient evidence of violence) is to be released on bail or personal recognizance. This sort of order does not establish visitation rights. It does not award custody, nor can it order counseling. Ordinarily, the order stays in place while the criminal proceeding moves through the court system.

Civil Anti-Harassment Order

Typically used when the persons involved are not married or related to each other, this type of order is often used where there is a dispute among neighbors. It is also used where there is evidence that one person is stalking another. This type of order can be issued even in situations in which the complaining person has not been actually assaulted or physically threatened.

Bolan Law Group.: Proud Representatives of Families and Domestic Partners

At Bolan Law Group., we take seriously our responsibility in helping Tacoma area families in difficult times and situations. We take great pride in the representation we provide families, spouses, and domestic partners. We are aggressive in protecting your rights at every step of the process. For more than 30 years, we have successfully helped individuals through the wide variety of family law issues that can arise. We have assisted with issues related to restraining orders and other protective court orders. Our clients have benefited from our extensive experience and dedication. Our firm’s smaller size allows us to communicate better with our clients to better serve your needs. We work closely with you to resolve matters quickly and economically. We don’t believe in complicating matters and driving up costs. If there’s a simple solution, that’s our first choice. For assistance with any sort of real estate issue, contact us on the web, or call our office at (253) 470-2356.

Related Posts
  • How To Get Visitation Rights In Washington Read More
  • How Long Does Spousal Support Last In Washington? Read More
  • Tips For Resolving Common Co-Parenting Disputes Read More