Who May File a Lien on Improved Property and Under What Circumstances?

Anyone furnishing labor, professional services, materials, or equipment for the improvement of real property may file a lien against the real property such labor, services, material, or equipment was supplied to (excluding public works projects in which case a retainage claim may arise).

However, such labor, services, material or equipment must have been supplied at the request of the owner, owner’s agent, or owner’s construction agent.

Further, the person claiming the lien must be registered as a contractor if that is required under Washington law, and must have provided a Notice to Owner or Notice to Customer if that was required by law. Otherwise a lien cannot be filed.

Kristal M. Cowger, Attorney at Law
Blado Kiger Bolan, Tacoma, Wash.

Related Posts
  • Word To The Wise For Contractors: Don’T Forget Required Disclosure Statements Read More
  • Should Construction Disputes Be Mediated? Read More
  • Defective Construction Notice Attorney Read More