What Is Required to Lawfully Work as a Contractor in Washington State?

A contractor (general or specialty) must be registered with the State of Washington Department of Labor and Industries to lawfully work in the state.

To become registered, a contractor must submit an application to the Department of Labor and Industries along with evidence of an acceptable type of workers’ compensation insurance for the contractor’s employees, a surety bond, and liability insurance.

Surety Bond

The surety bond must be in the amount of $12,000 for a General Contractor, and $6,000 for a Specialty Contractor. As an alternative to a surety bond, a contractor may file an assigned savings account with the Department of Labor and Industries. Liability insurance must be in the minimum amount of $50,000 for property damage and $200,000 for public liability, or $250,000 combined single limit coverage.

Click HERE to find Washington State Department of Labor and Industries contractor registration forms.

Kristal Cowger, Attorney at Law
Blado Kiger Bolan, Tacoma, Wash.

Related Posts
  • Word To The Wise For Contractors: Don’T Forget Required Disclosure Statements Read More
  • Should Construction Disputes Be Mediated? Read More
  • Defective Construction Notice Attorney Read More