My Wife’s Mother Passed Away With a Will, but It Wasn’t Notarized. (We Do Have Her Power of Attorney.) The Bank Has Frozen Her Account of $1,500. What Are Our Options?

You can probably do something called a small estate affidavit. The power of attorney is no longer effective — it terminated when the mother passed away.

It will be easiest to have an attorney assist with this and it should not cost too much. An attorney can take a look at all the paperwork to make sure that is really the best approach. If a small estate affidavit is the correct approach, an experienced attorney will be able to get it done for you much quicker and easier than trying to do it yourself.

Douglas N. Kiger, Attorney at Law
Blado Kiger Bolan, Tacoma, Wash

Related Posts
  • Are Estate Companies Responsible for the Security of a House That Is Part of the Estate? We Experienced Damage to the Home and Don’t Want to Pay. Read More
  • How Long Do Creditors Have To Make Claims Against The Estate Of Washington State Residences? Read More
  • Dad Died 2 Years Ago and My Stepmother Said There Was No Will, and No Inheritance for My Sister and I. (There Was Significant Money Involved.) She Says We Are in Her Will. Will We Get Our Inheritance? Read More