I Want to Press Charges Regarding My Father’s Estate, but the Police Department Says His Estranged Wife Has to Want It? Is That True?

Whether criminal charges are filed is a decision by the prosecutor’s office. Even if the estranged wife wanted charges filed—it is not her choice. But certainly, if she is the personal representative and does not want to cooperate with the police or prosecutor, that would be a reason for the prosecutor to now want to pursue charges. You may want to pursue remedies yourself in the probate case itself. You should speak to an attorney about this if it is something you want to pursue.

Douglas N. Kiger, Attorney at Law
Blado Kiger Bolan, Tacoma, Wash.

Related Posts
  • My Wife’s Mother Passed Away With a Will, but It Wasn’t Notarized. (We Do Have Her Power of Attorney.) The Bank Has Frozen Her Account of $1,500. What Are Our Options? Read More
  • Are Estate Companies Responsible for the Security of a House That Is Part of the Estate? We Experienced Damage to the Home and Don’t Want to Pay. Read More
  • How Long Do Creditors Have To Make Claims Against The Estate Of Washington State Residences? Read More