My Mom Passed Away and All We Need to Do Is to Transfer a House. Do We Still Need to Probate the Estate?

Yes, probate is the only way to transfer that real property. Just know that probate is not necessarily something to be worried about here in Washington. The process can actually be fairly simple, straightforward, and inexpensive. In fact, all that paperwork (there shouldn’t be tons of it) and process are not a big deal, especially if you hire an experienced lawyer to help you out.

There may be some shortcuts you can take too. For example, you may not need to publish a notice to creditors (although the benefit and low cost of doing so often outweigh skipping it).

Douglas N. Kiger, Attorney at Law
Blado Kiger Bolan, Tacoma, Wash

Related Posts
  • My Wife’s Mother Passed Away With a Will, but It Wasn’t Notarized. (We Do Have Her Power of Attorney.) The Bank Has Frozen Her Account of $1,500. What Are Our Options? Read More
  • Are Estate Companies Responsible for the Security of a House That Is Part of the Estate? We Experienced Damage to the Home and Don’t Want to Pay. Read More
  • How Long Do Creditors Have To Make Claims Against The Estate Of Washington State Residences? Read More